Bracelet / Strap adjustment
All watches come as a standard size that should accommodate the largest of wrists; because of this there is most likely some adjustment needed to fit your wrist when you receive your watch.
Depending on the type of band and clasp-type that comes with your watch; some watches are self-adjustable and others need adjustment at a professional watch repair shop or jewelers before you can wear it.
This guide will show you the types of bands that come with the watches and how to adjust them to fit your wrist.
Metal type bracelets
There are two kinds of metal bracelets available:
- Flexible links bracelet: This is the most common type of metal bracelet which comes with short metal links held together by small steel pins.
- Solid fixed metal bracelet: This is a less common type of metal bracelet which features a solid curved construction. These are only found on ladies fashion / jewellery type of watches.
Flexible links type
Generally for most brands the standard size will be around 20cm / 8 inches for gents watches and 17cm / 7 inches for ladies watches. Most people will need links removing but in some cases you may require extra links if your wrist is larger than the standard size (for an additional cost).
To remove the links you need specialist watch making tools to remove the pins and links therefore this is not a job can can be done at home. We advise that you take this type of watch to your local watch repair shop or jewellers where they can measure your wrist and remove the correct number of links for a small fee.
Alternatively if you wish to buy the watch preadjusted we offer a bracelet adjustment option on these type of watches (Price £10.00 as of 1st Sept 2008). Please measure your wrist circumference with a flexible measuring tape or download our Printable Wrist Sizer.
Select "Bracelet Adjustment" as required when adding the watch to your shopping basket and put your wrist size in CM or INCHES in the comments box during the checkout.
NOTE: If measuring against an old watch DO NOT MEASURE THE OUTER CIRCUMFERENCE! Only put the measuring tape INSIDE the watch with the watch closed to measure the inner circumference. Then put in comments: Inner watch circumference: XXcm.
We will include all the spare links with your watch.
Solid fixed type
This type of bracelet is non-adjustable so the manufacturer usually provides several sizes (e.g Grande, Regular, Petite). You can measure your wrist using a measuring tape or use our Printable Wrist Sizer to see the size of your wrist before you select the size of watch required.
In case that the watch is not the correct size we offer a 14 day exchange policy on these type of watches so you can return the watch for a different size if you feel that the watch you have received is not comfortable. Please contact our customer services with your order number via telephone or email if this is the case.
This covers straps made with a rubber synthetic band. Depending on the type of clasp that comes with this the rubber strap may need to be cut and the clasp re-attached before you can wear it.
There are three types of clasps available:
- Pin buckle: This type of rubber strap has a traditional pin buckle and pre-perforated holes along the strap so that you can slide the rubber strap into the buckle and lock it with the pin. If you find that you need more holes this can be done at your local watch repair shop.
- Adjustable folding clasp: This type of strap is self-adjustable by unclipping the end of the clasp and sliding the rubber along the clasp for a tighter fit. The excess rubber can be cut if required.
- Fixed locking folding clasp: Found on Oris and Tissot watches; this type of strap has a non-adjustable clasp that is secured using a pin. This type of strap needs to be cut to the required length and the clasp reattached. This needs to be done in person at a watch repair shop or jewellers as once the strap is cut it cannot be reattached.
Leather & Canvas Straps
These are watch bands made from a variety of materials such as leather, canvas, denim (excluding rubber). All these type of bands are self adjustable.
- Pin buckle: This type of strap has a traditional pin buckle and pre-perforated holes along the strap so that you can slide the strap into the buckle and lock it with the pin. If you find that you need more holes this can be done at your local watch repair shop.
- Self adjustable locking folding clasp: This is a multi-piece metal clasp that is adjustable at one end so that the size can be reduced to fit your wrist.
Precision Time: the independent online watch retailer where you can buy authentic designer Swiss watches for sale online at the cheapest discount prices delivered direct to the UK.
All our prices include VAT
Price match available, we believe you won’t buy a cheaper watch elsewhere.
Precision Time are not affiliated with or authorised dealers for any brands offered for sale unless otherwise stated.
Mon - Fri (9:30am - 5:00pm)
Find us on Facebook